1. Chairman's introduction
2. Apologies for absence
3. Minutes of the 39th meeting ACM/MIN/39 (REVISED)
4. Matters arising
5. PHLS presentation on LACOTS/PHLS examination of RTE foods with added spices. ACM/509
Dr Sarah O'Brien from PHLS CDSC Epidemiology Division will present ACM/509.
6. PHLS up-date on microbiological status of fresh fruit and vegetables ACM/510
In June 2000, the PHLS presented a paper (ACM/476) to the Committee exploring whether there is a significant risk of human illness associated with the consumption of ready-to-eat fruit and vegetables. Members concluded that there was no cause for serious concern but asked the PHLS to keep the matter under review with a view to providing an update "in 9 months or so". Dr O'Brien will introduce ACM/510.
7. Progress reports
- Scottish Joint E. coli O157 Task Force
Dr Normal Simmons will provide an oral report on his attendance at Task Force meetings on behalf of the Committee
- FSA MAP seminar
Dr Judith Hilton will provide an oral report on progress in arranging FSA's MAP seminar
- Surveillance Working Group
Mr David Clarke will introduce a written report on the first meeting of the Surveillance Working Group ACM/511
- Ad Hoc Group on Sewage Sludge
Dr Norman Simmons will introduce a written report on the most recent meeting of the Ad Hoc Group on Sewage Sludge ACM/512
- M. bovis Working Group
Professor Mac Johnston will provide an oral report on the first meeting of the Working Group on Mycobacterium bovis
- Epidemiology of Foodborne Infections Group (EFIG) and Microbiological Food Surveillance Group (MFSG)
Dr Hilton will provide an oral report of developments in relation to these two Groups.
8. Interim response to Phillips Report
The Government is undertaking a public consultation on its interim response to the report of the BSE inquiry chaired by Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers. The ACMSF has been asked for its views. ACM/513
9. Review of lessons from first ACMSF public meeting
Members views are invited on the lessons learned from the Committee's first open meeting held on 5 December 2000. ACM/514
10. Food Standards Agency foodborne disease strategy ACM/519
Food Standards Agency draft poultry strategy ACM/520
In May, the Agency Board will be considering strategies to achieve its two foodborne disease targets. Current drafts of the proposed Foodborne Disease and Poultry Target strategies will be presented for members' comments.
11. Any Other Business
12. Dates of remaining meetings in 2001
5 December (second open meeting)
The following papers are being circulated for the information of Members.
Work of the other scientific advisory committees ACM/515
Veterinary surveillance in England and Wales - report ACM/516
of a consultation
History, trends and extent of pasteurization ACM/517
Foot and Mouth Disease background information ACM/518
For further information, contact:
Room 429A Ergon House, PO Box 31037,
17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR.
Tel : 0207-238-6101/6384
Fax : 0207-238-6745.